SSD | Jun 27, 2023 | 0
Eligibility Criteria for SSD and SSI Benefits
When applying for Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits in Los Angeles, it is essential to understand the eligibility criteria for each program. Meeting these criteria is crucial for determining eligibility and receiving the financial assistance needed. Let’s explore the eligibility requirements for both SSD and SSI benefits.
Social Security Disability (SSD) Eligibility Criteria
To qualify for SSD benefits in Los Angeles, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Medical Eligibility: Applicants must have a qualifying disability that is expected to last for at least one year or result in death. The disability should significantly impair their ability to perform any substantial gainful activity (SGA).
- Work Credits: Applicants must have earned enough work credits by paying Social Security taxes. The number of work credits required depends on the applicant’s age at the time of disability onset. Generally, individuals must have worked for a certain number of years and paid into the Social Security system to accumulate the necessary work credits.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for SSI benefits in Los Angeles, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Disability, Blindness, or Age: Applicants must have a qualifying disability, be blind, or be aged 65 or older.
- Income and Resources: Applicants must have limited income and resources. The exact income and resource limits vary and are periodically adjusted. Factors such as wages, unearned income, and the value of assets are considered when determining eligibility.
- Citizenship and Residency: Applicants must be U.S. citizens or fall into specific immigrant categories, such as those with permanent resident status or certain humanitarian or refugee statuses.
Both SSD and SSI benefits require applicants to go through an application process. The process may involve submitting detailed information and supporting documentation related to the disability, work history, income, resources, and other relevant factors.
For SSD benefits, individuals can apply online or visit their local Social Security office. The application for SSI benefits is typically completed in person at a local Social Security office.
It is important to note that the application process can be complex, and it is recommended to seek assistance from professionals, such as Social Security disability attorneys or advocates, to ensure all necessary information is provided accurately and promptly.
Understanding the eligibility criteria for SSD and SSI benefits in Los Angeles is crucial when applying for financial assistance. Meeting the specific requirements related to disability, work credits, income, resources, and citizenship or residency is essential for determining eligibility. By familiarizing themselves with these criteria and seeking guidance when needed, individuals can navigate the application process more effectively and increase their chances of receiving the vital financial support they require.